Sunday, January 1, 2012

Resolutions

Happy New Year!  I hope everyone had a great holiday season.  It's the morning of January 1 here in Aurora, IL.  The family is still asleep, and I've got a nice hot cup of Joe, my MacBook and a New Year's resolution in place.

Like most people, I make New Year's resolutions.  I tend to be reflective at year's end, both personally and professionally. Being goal oriented, I enjoy the exercise of seeing if I can come up with new goals for the upcoming year.   The first day back to work after New Year's Day is full of energy for me.  I come in with a head of steam to get the resolutions rolling.  Unfortunately, after a few weeks or months, the majority of my resolutions dissolve back into the haze of hectic insanity that is my life.  I know I'm not the only one this happens to.  Ever wonder why that is?

If you think about it, resolutions are a mental contract with yourself to change.  I bet you've never thought if it that way.  Change is hard.  Human beings HATE change.  It is simply easier to take the path of least resistance, the status quo, and continue on.  When we try to change, it can be frustrating, anxiety provoking, irritating and flat-out infuriating.  Because of this, we slip back into what we know, what is comfortable.  No wonder New Year's resolutions tend to fail.

One of my goals of 2011 was to start this blog.  My goal was to write once a week, which unfortunately didn't happen. Despite an increasing gap between my posts, I'm up early on New Year's Day, writing my first post of 2012, excited about the New Year.  One of my 2012 resolutions it to post to this blog more than I did in 2011.  I am going to build off one of my successful resolutions of 2011.  That is a great feeling.  Today is the start of that goal.

Here is a toast to new beginnings.  May 2012 bring you health, happiness and peace.  Whatever your resolutions for change are, don't give up on them.  Understand it isn't going to be easy.   If you stick with it, keep working on it, what will happen will be amazing.  The change you wanted will become reality.

1 comment:

  1. Happy New Year to you and your family! 2011 was wonderful in that I got to catch up with you and numerous other old friends! Here is to 2012 being a fantastic year for everyone!

    ReplyDelete