Sunday, July 3, 2011

Let's get together, and feel all right

Happy 4th of July everybody.  It's a beautiful morning here in Chicago.  I got up early to see my patients in the hospital, and now I'm home.  Kids are up, and the house is getting busy.  Life is grand.

Looking through my expansive iTunes library, I decided to stream Bob Marley "Legend" to my stereo while I worked around the house.  This album is beyond reproach.  There are few artists who's songs can elicit emotion in people from all walks of life.  The human race is better because he blessed us with his gift.

Not many people know how Bob Marley died.  Most assume it was drug related.  He actually died of melanoma at the age of 36.  He injured his toe playing soccer, and when it didn't heal, he had it biopsied.  Once he was diagnosed, the toe was amputated, but by that point, the melanoma had spread.  Within 6 months, he was gone.

All those years in the Jamaican sun, shoeless, with the tops of his feet pointing skyward took its toll. So this sunny 4th of July weekend, wear your sunscreen.  Everyone.  I don't care how dark your skin is.  Protect yourself.  It will allow you to enjoy life to it's fullest.

God Bless!

1 comment:

  1. I never knew that about Bob Marley! We have many MANY bottles of sunscreen and use it constantly but thanks for the reminder! Have a great 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete